- Watermelons are full of nutrition, they hydrate with a high water content, and they're low fat. (Gotta love that!)
- They are an excellent source of Vitamin A, which helps maintain eye health and is an antioxidant, and
- Vitamin C, which helps strengthen immunity, heal wounds, prevent cell damage, promote healthy teeth and gums, and
- Vitamin B6, which helps brain function and helps convert protein to energy. (Who knew?)
- When you think of Lycopene - a powerful antioxidant that helps fight heart disease and several types of cancer - prostate cancer in particular - tomatoes always come to mind. And while tomatoes have long been touted as a great source for Lycopene - watermelon actually has the highest concentrations of Lycopene of any fresh fruit or vegetable. (Pretty impressive!)
How fantastic is that? So the next time you're at a summer BBQ don't pass up that slice of watermelon!
Nutritional information taken from Discovery Health "Surprising Health Benefits of Watermelon"