Monday, June 24, 2013

Bikini Soft Shaving Oil - Review

After reading a few other posts in the blogosphere about Bikini Soft, my curiosity was definitely peaked. So I contacted the folks at Bikini Soft who were kind enough to send me samples of their products for review. Yes, I did receive the products for free, but it in no way affected my impression of the products, and what comes next is my unbiased, honest review. So ladies, let's get to it...

First - product photos:







 














Now, the review: I didn't want to try the products on a fresh razor blade - the blade would already be delivering a smooth, close shave out of the sheer fact that it was brand new. So when I tested these products, I intentionally used them with a two-week old razor blade that was on the verge of being switched out (I shave every single day without fail; let's just say those little moisture strips were a pale image of their former selves and it was taking multiple passes to get that close shave). 

Directions from Bikini Soft instruct you to:

1. Generously wet the area to be shaved.
2. In a moist palm, massage 8-10 drops of Bikini Soft Smooth Shave Oil.
3. Massage into the area to be shaved and wait 5-10 seconds.
4. Shave as usual (be sure to rinse and clean your razor often)

One thing you need to know about me, I have been using liquid soap that lathers up nicely to shave for over 35 years. To say that I'm engrained in that habit would be the understatement of the century. So I wasn't crazy about shaving just with the oil. I did try it, but I wasn't a fan - it just seemed like I needed a ton of oil that way to get the smooth glide I was used to, and I gotta be honest, I missed my coconut-scented lather. However, in their "helpful hints" section, Bikini Soft suggests to get a really close shave to also put a few drops of the Smooth Shave oil directly on your razer, including on the lubricating strips. So next I tried lathering up with my regular liquid soap by itself and then only putting the oil on my razor before shaving. Wow! Now this I loved! I kid you not, my ready-for-the-trash blade suddenly felt like it was brand new. In fact, I would go so far as to say it actually shaved better than new - let me explain. I use the Schick Quattro women's razor and have for years. I actually prefer the closeness of the Venus razors, but I always (and I mean ALWAYS) cut myself with that razor. When I use the Schick Quattro, the shave isn't as close, but at least my legs aren't covered in dozens of  "tissue bandaids" when I'm finished, so that has always seemed like an acceptable compromise. ENTER Bikini Soft Smooth Shave Oil and viola - my Quattro blade now performs like a Venus blade - but I'm not getting any nicks or cuts. This is a very good thing!

Their other product, the Razor Saver Oil, is used to preserve the life of your blade - after thoroughly rinsing your razor and gently dabbing it dry, you just brush on a thin coat of the Saver Oil and let the razor sit. I haven't been using it long enough to know exactly how long it preserves your blade, so I can't give empirical data on that. However, this is what is stated on their website: "Shaving doesn’t dull your razor, oxidation is the culprit. The combination of water and air on steel causes oxidation (or rust). In fact, the period between shaves does more damage to your razor than the shave itself. Exposure to moist air corrodes blades quickly, leading to a jagged edge resulting in nicks and cuts. Bikini Soft Razor Saver Oil has been shown to slow the effects of oxidation and extend blade life up to 300%." So the science behind it seems to make sense.
Here are the claims from their website and my reactions:

"Bikini Soft Smooth Shave Oil gives you the smoothest, closest shave and leaves your skin silky soft."  Absolutely true, it was pretty amazing.

"You’ll be amazed at how comfortable your shaving experience will become along with the disappearance of nicks, cuts and razor burn." It was definitely comfortable once I switched to applying the oil only to the razor itself - definitely no nicks, cuts, or razor burn.

"Your razor will literally glide over your skin as if it is floating." Definitely true, especially combined with my normal lather.

They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee.

Cost: $14.95 - Kit includes a 1 oz. bottle of Bikini Soft Smooth Shave Oil as well as a ½ oz. bottle of Bikini Soft Razor Saver Oil with applicator brush. Your kit also includes a step by step instruction guide for both oils along with a Bikini Soft Recycling guide.

And I really love how they encourage their customers to recycle by providing the Recycle Return Label - not just for their empty product bottles, but for old razors and cartridges as well. Bravo!

So this product gets 4.5 CHEERS (almost the highest rating available on this blog). The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because for some the cost may be a factor, although a little goes a long way. Personally, after trying the complimentary sample for 3 weeks, I will definitely be placing an order - I don't think I want to shave without it!







If you're interested in trying Bikini Soft you can learn more on their website at: https://www.bikinisoft.com/index.html. If you've tried it, I would love to hear what you thought about it, so feel free to leave your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment